Back to School Bash August 25
August 25, 2012
Annual Back to School Bash will be held August 25, 2012 from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. We will serve 1,000 school kids in need!
Hours Changed for Weekly Food Distribution
June 19, 2012
In order to more effectively serve the area’s citizens who are the most in need with food, hygiene and household items, The Outreach Center’s Food Distribution Program will take place each Tuesday afternoon from 1:00 - 5:00 p.m. EFFECTIVE JUNE 19TH. While clients are here, they will be able to participate in classes such as heath and nutrition, finance and others. In addition, clients will be given more individual time with a leader who can provide hope, encouragement, and additional information about other resources clients may be eligible for.
Over 7 Million in Food Given Away Last Year
June 01, 2012
Last year brought unprecedented need to Burke County and the surrounding area and The Outreach Center answered that need by giving away over 7 million dollars worth of food and supplies. 29,186 individuals and families received food assistance from The Outreach Center last year.
Here's a look at all the numbers from 2010:
- Total amount of food given to individuals and organizations in a six-county area in Western North Carolina is: $7,130,800.04.
- 29,186 people receive assistance with food. This was 10,613 families.
- 1,510 NEW families, who had never had to ask for help before, received assistance with food in 2010.
- 41,611 sets of groceries were distributed.
- $4.5 million worth of food, toiletries, and hygiene items was distributed to families in need.
- 3,840 packs of diapers were distributed to infants and toddlers in need, and 1,600 packs of adult diapers were distributed to the elderly and disabled.
- 441 people were educated with adult basic education, GED training, or computer literacy, and 2,232 classes were held through our Fresh Start Education Center.
- 267 people received assistance with job training, including on-the-job training, resume preparation, application assistance, and job search assistance. On-the-job training components are: administrative, clerical, inventory management, warehouse equipment operations, retail, e-commerce, and janitorial.
- 10 people obtained their High School Diploma.
- 61 charitable organizations, shelters, and schools received more than $2.5 million in food and toiletry items for their clients.
- 1,023 volunteers gave a total of 40,716 hours toward helping impoverished families in our community. This time is priceless, but is considered worth three quarters of a million dollars! ($773,604)
And the need continues to grow. The programs at The Outreach Center would not be possible without your support. Please help us help others right in your own community. Please click on the donate button below.